Saturday, July 16, 2011

FACT! #29


I sincerely could do dozens upon dozens of FACT!s based on different sodas and everything. Though I've been itching to do this one since I caught the bug. Originally introduced in 1992, Crystal Pepsi was essentially the same Pepsi cola that everyone knew, but without the food coloring to turn it into the epic brown sludge that we love.

Initially tested in a handful of markets in 1992, it was released nationwide early in 1993 before suddenly being pulled from the shelves. Though there was positive response in the test markets, it seemed the rest of the nation wasn't ready to give a clear cola a shot. Many people claimed that it simply didn't taste the same and went on to prove the importance of food colors in the foods that we eat; they're almost as visual as they are flavor based.

Though I personally believe that there was more at play than that. This was less than a decade after the "New Coke" catastrophe, where Coca-Cola reformulated their original drink and saw their market share plummet rapidly. This was still fresh in people's minds. We weren't ready for another cola to mess with their formula at all and we'd be damned if we were going to put money towards it!


Regardless, you damn well better believe that, should I get my hands on some, that I am going to give it a try. I don't remember trying it when it first came out (though my memory's terrible.) I feel like I am missing out, even if it's still the regular Pepsi with a cool, clear look, hip and fresh for the 1990s!