Monday, October 31, 2011

A HAPPY HALLOWEEN POST!

...Or I could totally not make a single posting since the 3rd of this month.

Life hit me like a ton of bricks (or a ton of feathers, whichever is heavier) and it knocked most of the holiday spirit out of me in a single, felling swoop. That was, until, a couple days ago when I caught "The Great Pumpkin" on ABC.

I don't know how many (if any) people have those silly little things that arbitrarily make a holiday season feel "complete." I guess for many people, the Halloween season is capped off with an amazing party (check on my end here) or, for the chit'lins, trick-or-treating.

When I was a kid (until, I believe, I was 17 or so) trick-or-treating was what made my Halloween season feel complete. There's nothing like going out a bit later in the evening when people are just trying to give away the candy and after the kids went home that was awesome. The air seemed crisp, especially if it were cold. There was so much merriment in the annual candy-fetch that I continued doing the tradition objectively years past the date I should have stopped.

Then... I, too, stopped going. It wasn't really a conscious thing, I just stopped going door-to-door asking for handouts. I don't know what made me stop, to be honest; nor do I really care to explore why I did either. All I know is that, after trick-or-treating stopped for me... What made a Halloween seem complete was catching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" on TV.

Those who know me in real life should know my not-so-quiet obsession with the Peanuts gang. I've been a fan since I was a kid and well, watching it is something that helps tie the holiday season together for me... At least, it's something that really sinks it in with me that the holidays are beginning. Admittedly, I have the show on DVD and could watch it whenever I wanted... But there's something that makes it more official, more important, when it airs on television.

Now that I have seen it and have been to/hosted a party... It really does fill me with holiday cheer. Of course, that could just be enough beer to drown the Loch Ness Monster. I kid... Honestly, this is a feeling I can't replicate via alcohol. It's something so honest and genuine.

Anyways... I wanted to wish everyone a happy Halloween. I hope that all of you have found that special spark that makes this time of year seem wonderful... I mean, there's gotta be something special about this if we all put up with the stress and crap that happens... Yet, we find ourselves missing it after it's over.

I'll do my best not to make any promises about updating as, for whatever reason, those promises don't often play out due to various things that seem out of my control. It also sorta helps that we're heading towards a grossly under-appreciated holiday (Thanksgiving to those in the US, outside? Just carry on, I suppose) and it's one that I hold very high in regard (even if it's just for free turkey and enough stuffing to mummify even a jellyfish.)

With that, I shall leave you all with an image that has brought me smiles dozens of times over the years (and no, it's not the chimp drinking his own pee. That's a video.)...

Fact: One of the first signs of hypothermia is seeing the silhouette of a dog rising in the foreground. That dog may-or-may not be Snoopy. It could be a Hell Hound to devour your soul. SWEET DREAMS!